Space Utilization Grants
The State Library allocates federal funds to provide Iowa public libraries for consulting on space utilization. These grants reimburse fees for professional advice from impartial consultants who provide guidance and recommendations to library directors, city officials and the community about use of existing space. The library space utilization grants have been funded by the State Library since FY94.
Grants of up to $3,000 will be awarded as funds are available. A library may only receive one library utilization grant.
Funding for grants is available after the fiscal year begins every July 1. The funding follows the state fiscal year (July 1 - June 30), but projects may run the length of the calendar year, extending over two state fiscal periods. Projects should be completed within a 12-month period.
Eligible and Ineligible Uses
Grants may be requested for the following consultation services:
- Space Needs Assessment: Consultant will help make the best use of the current space in the library, and determine the area needed for the library's programs and services.
- Building Program Review: Consultant will assist the library in writing and/or reviewing the library's building program statement.
- ADA Compliance Evaluation and Planning: Consultant will advise on the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) for libraries.
LSTA funds for library utilization consultation may NOT be used for the following services:
- Architect or engineer services
- Equipment, installation, or implementation of the plan
- Written summary of project activities or outcomes
- Written evaluation of the impact of the project on customer service
For more information or questions, contact Brenda Hall.
Space Utilization Grants are supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the American Rescue Plan Act as administered by the State Library of Iowa.
Space Utilization Grant Application
Complete the fields below and click "Submit." The State Library reviews applications regularly and will be in contact within two weeks of submission.